Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sneak Peak

The process began in the fall when I first set my pencil to the semi-transluecnt graph paper with the goal of creating my own typeface. Along the way I have been finding ways to bridge the gap between type design and the gallery. I had come to NY with the vision of making large type sculptures and placing them through the city. My attention later turned to the intricate process of the creation of type. I began finding beauty and strong ties to the old traditions of typography that I wanted to relate to the design culture of today.

After drawing out my whole alphabet I began the process of learning new software - Fontlab, where tangible type becomes digital. Through this my eyes became open to the subtle geometry of type, and type as projected light.

The photo below contains two works in progress that will be featured in the show this coming April. The blue 'M' is a cyanotype which is a primitive form of photography. I mixed my own photosensitive chemicals (Ferric ammonium citrate & Potassium Ferricyanide) and painted the solution onto 140 cold press watercolor paper. I cut out the 'M' on my still untitled typeface and gently taped it to the paper, and after 20 minutes in the spring sun here in the city I had my print. Generally the prints are a much deeper blue, but I had ended up washing this paper prior to the exposure.

The nailed 'G' is going to have red thread strung between the edge of the board and the outside of the letterform. My intention is to map the negative space of the 'G', being that it is important to note what the space looks like around the form as well as the character itself when drawing a typeface. Eventually this piece will be a diptych, it's partner being 'g'.

There are a few other projects in motion, but I will save those for later. More photos and making to come!

1 comment:

  1. Once again, you i n s p i r e me with your type, your determination, your immense creativity, and the way in which you must ART to LIVE. I absolutely love what you are doing with this beautiful bridge between graphic and studio- I can't wait to see this face to face, (or face to font).

    the blues, THE BLUES, the B L U E S
    (also, I checked out your website again and was blown away... all the way to Ireland)

    ReplyDelete