Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Painting in the Park

The fall here as been more colorful than I could have imagined. Though the earthy sent of pine is still missed, the colors of their deciduous relatives seem to be making up for their absence. Every other weekend is about the time when the urge to paint outweighs everything else. There is no other option other than to find a spot and release colorful interpretation all over an unexpected page.  

This painting is significant to me because it was the day I fell in love with this city. The previous weeks of working with The New Cruelty offered a break from the city, but still gave me the experience of living in New York. Coming back to the city I was surprised to find that I missed it, and how all the colors and noises seemed new and even refreshing. It was the day of the Marathon and 1,000's of people lined the street, cheering on the 1000's of runners. The color of the trees were reflected in the people crowding every walkway imaginable. Music, Smells and the Chilled fall air gripped my senses as Felix and I painted this scene in Central Park.

This painting began with an old class assignment in mind. I was taken back to a small coffee shop in Newberg where Gary Buhler's Water color class were doing impressionist style paintings for the day. It was nice to mimic value shapes with daubs of autumnal color. Later that night it was still lacking texture and some sort of vibrancy - (also due to the fact that I had painted it on the wrong side of the paper) to fix this conundrum and fill the desire to keep doing art I added colored pencil.

As the air starts to grow cold I will think of Monet's winter scenes, or perhaps I will move to the Underground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment