Monday, January 17, 2011

The Deadly Gentleman

One of the wonderful things about doing freelance design is that it involves working with, serving and meeting new people. Another part about it is that these acts of service usually come about in wonderfully off the wall circumstances. For instance, I was at the Alaskan airport this summer walking through the security line when I overheard the man in front of me with a banjo case in hand saying he plays with Crooked Still. My curiosity peaked as I remembered that they are on my Pandora all the time. Eventually we started talking and now we are working together on branding The Deadly Gentleman, a group of musicians who play some great 'epic folk'.

We started on doing an album and cd design integrating a wooden sculpture that he had. He then came to me and asked for a logo with the same figure. I started out by doing a bunch of line drawings on tracing paper in different styles to try to find the feel of the band, keeping in mind that typography was going to also be integrated.

After a few proofs we arrived at the solution below. The logotype allows the type to interplay with the logo - while still able to stand on their own. Our next project will be implementing the logo onto band websites and T-shirts.
Font : Thyssen J

No comments:

Post a Comment