Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snowy Night


Tuesday evening began in Housing Works bookstore in East Village listening, meeting, and communing with Abigail Washburn and friends. These wonderful new kin live life beautifully, building community everywhere they go. It is no wonder why my insides feel like they are soaring when in fellowship with them and their music.

Snow fell all evening and after the concert we piled into the blanketed streets. The grime of the city was gone - everything had this purity about it that seemed so foreign. Those who were walking around carried a happy countenance - it was evident that the spirit of the city had changed. It was like walking around in daylight, and with every dark crevice painted white it was a shadowless and quiet night.

Taxis weren't running between Midtown and Astoria so I tucked into the subway - where to my surprise I saw snow falling through the grates above. The walk home from the Broadway station down to 33rd ave was magical - a foot of untouched snow covered the trash heaps and dirty pavement. I couldn't help but skipping as snow whirled around me. It was so different to see snow fall like this in a city.

I laid in bed a long time fighting my burning eyes and watching the snow swirling around outside; until, against my will, fell asleep.

Photo : 
Taken outside my apartment
Astoria, Queens

1 comment: