Monday, April 25, 2011

Experience Speaks

The following is an note written by Tegan Brozyna a friend and fellow of mine at the NYCAMS post-bacaloriate program in New York. I appreciate her wise words and her journey as an artist. You can see more of her work here.

----------

Floor Installation NYCAMS 2011
Since undergrad I have admittedly foundered and sometimes fluttered about from this to that. I was looking for magic career bullets that would direct my feet and hand feed me. Perhaps it was a natural thought coming from the fact that as a child you are given so much. You exist in boundaries, deadlines and projects readily provided for you. But, that's not the reality of the real world where you must take ownership of both your decisions and your path.

Through my frustrations and  victories as well as a lot of trial and error I have developed a stoney resolve.  I have slowly learned that art is a discipline and practice that must be cultivated and fought for. Regardless of your education, it is ultimately the artist who is in charge of making and promoting their art. There is a good amount of rejection, fear and frustration in the field of art, but if you are going to be an artist, a practicing artist, you have to push through and find your own opportunities despite disappointments, fears and set-backs. 

I have peace in this now where as before I was terrified and at times frantic for certainty or a clear path. I am learning and having it etched into me that anything worth having is worth working for. Art is no exception though she's sometimes a fickle, fickle lover....


No comments:

Post a Comment