Monday, April 25, 2011

Theodolite

The culminating event here in New York was a gallery opening held in Manhattan April 8th. Four artists gathered, worked, critiqued for nine months and prepared for the show Theodolite.

theodolite |θēˈädəˌlīt|
    noun    a surveying instrument with a rotating telescope     for measuring horizontal and vertical angles.         We felt like this instrument symbolized an invitation to look through the lens of each artist. The properties of this devise also touch on each of our works through its ties to viewing, angles, mapping, and drafting.      Artists:  Rachel Belgard - Typography & Mixed Media (more) Tegan Brozyna - Maps, Oil Bar, Mixed Media (more) Stephen Monkemeier - Mixed Media (more) Rebecca A Peters - Photography (more)
Artist Statement:The production phase of my work began in the fall when I first set a pencil to translucentgraph paper. My objective was to create my own typeface entitled Belgard. After drawing thealphabet by hand I began to learn a new software (Fontlab), where tangible type becomesdigital. Through this training, my eyes were able to distinguish subtle intricacies of type asprojected light through technology.
Illuminated type offers a different experience of language through its instant and seamlessqualities. Though it looks and feels different from printed text, it still refers to the sametraditions and letterforms of classic typography, holding fast to the handcrafted and organicnature of our Latin alphabet. 
ShiftThe vintage letterpress case (California Job Case) reads as a typographical map. Every letterhas its traditional and respective place. The letter spaces marked out in red glass are: S-h-i-f-t. This symbolizes the cultural shift from the old traditions of letterpress typography to thenew: Type as projected light.
Cyanotype Series -The cyanotype is an early form of photography that was introduced in 1842; it is created bymixing the two iron compounds, Ferric Ammonium Citrate and Potassium Ferricyanide. Aprint is made by exposing a wash of the solution to UV light on watercolor paper. I exposedvarious samples of Belgard in the sun using the traditional cyanotype process. Each printreflects on different typographical forms and traditions. 

California job case with the characters, S, h, i, f, t cut out and replaced with red glass. The box is lit from behind with LEDs. SOLD


























Series of Cyanotypes displaying font Belgard
(Prints, 22x30)




















Theodolite Opening




















The Experience: Looking back I am unable to completely relay just how remarkable the opening was. Over night ourwork that was once tucked and turned over in the corners of our studio spaces was now displayed asa collective show, mounted, and aligned in the magical nil context of the gallery. They hung therebringing life to the gallery canvas and although different they related wonderfully to each other. 
The greatest joy was was gathering and sharing with my friends from afar and the different communitieshere in NY that have poured their love into my life. It felt like I was finally able to share my love andgive back to them in the way that I most relate with this world - through making. The second greatestjoy was being able to get excited about typography and watch others marvel and get excited with me. 
I felt like I succeeded at making a body of artwork that spoke into its viewer. The creations didn't stopwith themselves or myself - but allowed for a reflective conception by the viewer which is somethinggreater than art and artist. The works were purposely made and didn't become deities or commoditiesthat contributed to the consumeristic nature of some art today. 
What Next: {Collect / Reflect & Keep Making}I have my ticket and am taking the train across the country at the end of May! This summer I will befreelancing, living in Newberg and plan on continuing to build onto the font that I have made this yearby finishing its italic form. There are already four more type cases that await me in Portland and plan onmaking more light boxes and cyanotype prints. I'm excited to see where this design life and growingbody of artwork will go. 
Thank you to all who have loved and supported me through my journeys here! My life and makingwouldn't be the same with out you. More updates soon!

1 comment:

  1. Your show was incredible! I'm so proud of you. I can't wait for you to be able to share your hard work here at home and hopefully beyond.

    ReplyDelete