Friday, January 28, 2011

Sick Day.

With the city transformed into a large snow fort and a head full of cold I keep tucked away and warm. Sipping my favorite Terry Tea I design the days away, and even though my body is sick my spririts are high and I truly do feel golden. 

Between taking antibiotics and munching on designer food I sketch out the lowercase of my typeface. After only one type design class at SVA my eyes have been opened to a few seemingly magical typographical equations. For instance - It's a good practice to always start with the character 'i' - and from then move onto - n,r,j,t,l, and pretty soon you have o,p,q!  Another trick is - getting your 's' from your 'o'! I can hardly wait for next Tuesday. The words of our professor and type designer James Montalbano play on repeat as I put my pencil / eraser / type sense to paper.
It sounds something like this:

"Typography is the merger of fashion and technology"
"Typeface design is not cut and paste - it is modular design"
"Width, Weight, Rhythm, Pattern, & Personality is what makes up a typeface."
"Remember to find your axis and keep it consistent"

To only add to the nerd factor of this equation I have Helvetica playing in the background. As I trim serifs I listen to some of my favorite type designers bash or praise the cult following of the famous font. Best and Most Productive Sick Day Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment