Monday, February 7, 2011

BreathBeat

Community //
A new-found family here in the city has been the folk music scene. I was inducted in through Crooked Still and my client Greg Litz (Banjo player for CS and The Deadly Gentlemen) and have been meeting quality people ever since. The typical conversation to have at a "hang" is about who you know and what you play making the fact that I am an artist a curve ball that is thrown into the mix.

Second to meeting great friends, a few fun branding opportunities have also come to pass through sewing these connections. One of which is the incredible fiddle player, Rob Hecht. After touring with multiple groups around the world Rob has decided to take time to devote to his own project, Breathbeat.

Concept //
The name of the project itself stems from a focus on beat of one's own breath in meditation. The concept for the design was brought about through a dream I had after attending a concert in Brooklyn. At the concert I sketched negative shapes, sounds, and the band's movements as fast as I could. Needless to say I walked away frustrated at the fact that I didn't feel like I could capture the complexity and subtle organic simplicity of Rob's playing. The end of the bow danced around so fast it was impossible to capture it's movements. That night I dreamed of this music paired with moving light. Around two I woke up with a jolt and feverishly scribbled my thoughts out onto a nearby journal. I could capture this musical light with a camera and a dark room, it had to be possible.

The next morning I sent an email off to Rob full of excitement asking him if we could attach a book light to the end of his bow. Highly supportive of the idea we planned to do the shoot as soon as possible.

The Shoot //
After a round of single shot lattes at Ace we headed over to the studio, strapped his temperamental book light to the bottom of his bow and found a dark room to set up the shoot. Hoping for the best I set my camera to bulb and told him to play. We weren't even half way through the first Irish jig when that I knew we were on to something good. The lines that I wasn't able to capture with my pen were streaming before my eyes and frozen in my lens. The shutter speed was also taken into account. I timed the shots to coincide with the rhythm of the music creating a "breathbeat" of light.



Designing Light //
The next step was to take the organic light and draw from its form to create a word-mark that could be versatile across multiple platforms and sizes. The previously decided colors were a high contrast black and blue, also captured in our photos.


Our next step will be to implement the logo on the web including a Kickstarter page and other promotional sites. More design-life updates soon.

4 comments:

  1. We are working on getting a HD SLR to take a long exposure video with sound!

    In the mean time I'll work up a small video to share some more photos taken from the book-lit mini-concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Beautiful idea! I can't wait to see the long exposure video with sound.... I'm kinda into sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the light is measured in units of breathbeat :)

    ReplyDelete