Friday, January 21, 2011

Type at 5.

I have had a number of conversations with people about my project here in New York and they always seem to be taken by surprise.

"When did you discover type was your passion? I'm 34 and haven't found my passion yet." - Business Suite 

Most questions are pretty standard and have already been answered a hundred times, but this one was different. After thinking about it for a while my mind found itself in a small chair in a colorful room sitting at a short desk. I was back in kindergarden, and it was Art Day - my favorite.

Mrs. Yukoda was at the front of the room pointing to a poster with our AaBbCc's all over it, while her assistant was handing out outlined letters to the class. On the desks in small jars we had all sorts of small tangibles at our disposal. Each of us got a letter, a medium and lots of glue. Sparkles, Beads, Slit Peas, Macaroni and Cheerios went flying as 26 kids went to town on their letter.

After the fiasco had subsided and the glue had dried, enough, we hung our letters on the wall. It was glorious. Every character (though the same rounded bubbled form) was filled with a different texture. We gazed at our creations and sang our ABC's in unison.

This is when I fell in love with type. When I learned the ABC's. When we made our own alphabet out of anything we could find.  

* * * * * * *

The 'A' displayed is a sneak peak at the typeface that is in the process of creation. It is still unnamed, it takes root from the cultural shift between gothic and renaissance type and the movement towards the neoclassical character. Stay tuned, more snippets to come.


1 comment:

  1. you are reminding me of my kindergarten art projects.
    I'm so glad for your passion, and I'm so glad for you.

    ReplyDelete